• Military experts say that by outsourcing to the Pentagon decisions on troop levels, the president has abdicated his duty to defend deployments.
• One of the president’s lawyers said on Sunday that Mr. Trump was not under investigation by the special counsel looking into Russian meddling in the election. Mr. Trump tweeted on Friday that he was.
• We examined the troubled life of James Hodgkinson, who shot Representative Steve Scalise and three others in Alexandria, Va., last week.
• Read about how the other side thinks: perspectives from across the political spectrum on the past week in Washington.
• Spying on Mexico’s critics.
Human rights lawyers, journalists and anti-corruption activists have been targeted by spyware sold to…